Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, New Look, Same Arrogance

I altered my blog’s appearance a bit, and I might change a few more things, but let me know if you think it’s particularly better or worse. I just get sick of looking at the same thing.

I hope everyone had a fun and safe New Year. Although…

Where is all the controversy over the New Year celebration? There are many different New Year holidays, Jewish Rosh Hashanah and Chinese New Year come to mind. In fact… that means Jesus would have celebrated the New Year in September. January 1st has no Christian… oh wait.

January first is, in fact, a Christian holiday. For many years, many European people would go to sleep Christmas Eve, December 24th, in one year, and wake up Christmas day, December 25th, in the next. This was called the “Christmas system.” Other parts of Europe used March 25th, the annunciation (day the angel told Mary God was gonna knock her up).

Most of Europe adopted January 1st, the Feast of the Circumcision (when it is believed Jesus had his genitals mutilated in traditional Hebrew fashion) as the new year by the 16th century.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Geenks

    I like your new look.

    I also like the fact that Christians feel they own so many holidays. I spent my last 6 years of school in Catholic schools. We never had to go to school for a whole week. We were always getting out of school because some St. had a
    birthday, on Ash Wed. we got out of school once we got ashed up. And maybe the non religious should be thankful that we Christians have been getting your asses out of work early and getting free days off?

    Circumcision should be worth a whole week off?

    Happy new year to you. feeno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe this is why American children are so stupid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Maybe this is why American children are so stupid?"

    I don't think it's the day offs.
    You could have condensed my 4 year high school education into about 2 1/2 weeks. Okay maybe not that short - but definitely way less than 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could have condensed my 4 year high school education into about 2 1/2 weeks.

    ...maybe that's why, then.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is too long, break it into multiple comments and post them all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...