Friday, February 25, 2011

WTF Moment of the Month

It’s been a while, but it finally happened. I couldn’t help but what-the-fuck this story. It encapsulates two of my favorite blogging topics: religion and politics. The title pretty much says it all: China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate.

Now… I don’t even know how to approach this. If I come at it politically, it seems like, “Well, here’s a government trying to regulate something they have no business regulating,” but if I come at it religiously, I have to think, “Hmm, this makes about as much sense as those Southern municipalities that passed laws banning Satan from their town.”

I’m not sure how they’re going to enforce this. Well, I am, but I’m also not. What will happen is that when a Lama dies, the Chinese government will suppress any attempts by monks to seek out the reincarnated Buddha, but how they plan to do this (especially if they look outside of China) is beyond me.

If I was a Tibetan monk, I would just claim to have received permission from a reincarnated Chairman Mao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is too long, break it into multiple comments and post them all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...