Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pancriticism

I think there’s too much doubt these days, but I can’t be sure.

No, I am sure. I’m sick of people who act like maybe the sun won’t come up tomorrow.

“Nothing can be sure,” except I think they wrote that saying when we treated disease with leeches and mercury. Today, we go about our incredibly complex lives with a subtle confidence in millions of tiny things.

We trust our alarm to wake us up. We trust that hot water will come out of the shower faucet. We trust that the cleaning products we use will get us clean. We trust that our mode of transportation will get us from where we live to where we work without killing us. We trust that our employer will pay us. We trust that our family will love us. We trust that when we sit our fat asses on the couch and touch a hand-held piece of plastic, that a TV will magically come on, and that somewhere hundreds, maybe even thousands of miles away - in a place you have never been - that people produced your favorite show, which will appear on your television set at a pre-ordained time.

I think sometimes people get hung up on the fine details. I am more of a big-picture person. I take in many details, but since I respect no one, I don’t agree with most of what I read. Anything I agree with is something I have been presented many times and which I find accurate when applied as an explanation for particular phenomena.

There are so many things in this life that we trust every day, we just take them for granted. We get hung up on details, perhaps because it’s so fun to take something out of context.

2 comments:

  1. Another thought provoking and interesting piece. Reading you should definitely help keep my brain active over the christmas period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the past week, between evolution deniers and the pro-pollution propaganda, I have never been so skeptical of skepticism.

    I admit, at some point you have to believe someone (because we can't know everything), but sometimes I really question people's judgement.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is too long, break it into multiple comments and post them all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...